Melissa's Jpop Report

Giving you the hook up on all things jpop related!

Friday, July 28, 2006

I love Mika Nakashima

I would just like to take a moment out to make a post to say thank you to this womderful woman and say what a great person she is. I had heard her mention something on Utaban last year (a music show) about a visit to New Orleans. Recently, I saw something on tv which seemed like a documentary of her trip there. I didn't watch it all, so I still don't know the exact details of everything. But I do know now that the new song I heard from her when I was bowling with the line "All hands together" isn't just any song. It's a song with words that speak directly to the people of New Orleans and also a charity single. I honestly feel like crying right now (ok, so I am crying like for real). I was only in the states for a short time after it happened, and I've been away for a year, so the short memory I have of Katrina has become distant to me. But thinking about it now, brings all the memories back. I can still remember the shock of realizing how extent the devistation really was, the disbelief that something like this could be happening in America, and the mixed feelings bordering on anger about the rescue efforts to this crisis. It made me happy to be leaving the US for a year.

I've always been a little annoyed with Japanese youth (or any non-black) I see imitating modern black culture (hip hop, rap, etc). Why you ask? One because some of the things I see them imitating are some of the things I think are what's wrong with African American culture, but mostly because, two, I wonder do they even care about the people from the culture they are so in to? I haven't listened to all Mika Nakashima's music, so I don't know how much of it or she herself is influenced by Black culture. Whether it is or isn't, truly doesn't matter, but, still, if she is someone who loves an aspect of Black culture...well...that just makes me cry even more. I finally found someone who's answer is "Yes" and proves it by their actions. She is someone who cared enough about my country to do something to help the people (all the people. white, black, latino, asian), and I am very grateful to her. With the racial situation that surrounded this crisis and the musical angle of this single, it makes me even more grateful to her that she was willing to care.

Translation of the song
http://www.cherryblossom-garden.com/3/nakashimamika-eng4.html

Song for sale online
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-music/pid-1004151691/

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home