Melissa's Jpop Report

Giving you the hook up on all things jpop related!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Now this is why I came to Japan!

What?...You thought I was here just for language study and sightseeing? You thought my reasons for studying Japanese were purely academic? O, no no no. Anyone who has seen my room would know that is "not" the reason I quit my job and flew half way around the world.

When my mother and sister were here during Thanksgiving (did I mention that? o_0 If not, I need to write that post), we were in Hakone (Mt. Fuji), and I asked my mom if she liked sighting seeing and going around to look at things. She confirmed that and then asked if what I liked to do was go to concerts. I said yes, and what happened today couldn't have done more to affirm that.

Today, I had the immense pleasure of attending a secret live to mark the debut of the new, all girl jpop rock group, Maria. What's so special about this group is that one of it's six members was a member of the group ZONE that broke up last April. Their place on my music totem pole is in the group right beneath DAI which meant when I heard the news I was one blink away from the water in my eyes becoming tears. I had only started listening to them in the spring of '04, but they had been together since '99. The youngest member was 11 or 12 when they first started out, and they only danced around on stage holding instruments and singing songs written by their producer. By the end, though, they were not only playing the instruments but composing some of the music themselves. (my recent attempt at learning the guitar has assured me that's nothing to sniff at. And they actually sang when they played) It really makes you grow to respect them, and, since their company never had them do the blessed "bikini-shot" photo books, you really feel the focus is on the music.

So getting to see the "re-birth of ZONE" was really special for me. Even more special when I think about all the other jpop experiences I've had and the excellent timing that placed me in Japan when so many important changes were happening to the group's who's music meant the most to me. Changes that would have had me sitting in front of my computer bashing my head against the keyboard screaming about wanting to go to Japan. The thought of being able to do everything I've done in the past 6 months with such ease makes me giddy. ^_^ I can just get up and go if I want to, and nothing hinders me. I can read about an event the night before and show up the next day. And I've always showed up. It's just great how I can move about another country like I live here, haha! It's completely normal things, and that's why it's so great that I can do them.


For anyone curious/bored, here's a live of ZONE covering 2 beatles' songs. (before one of them traded places with another girl because she wanted to go on to college)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yhpIYwT4bkI

Maria's PV (Promotional Video aka. Music Video). The girls write all the music themselves. ^_^V
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9RgKWfzAx8M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home